hear it for
all the
acm - ers
tagboard


hello


hi. i'm wailing and i'm doing the blogging for our SAC group. we're doing a video project for ASIAN CIVILISATION MUSEUM and i'll be blogging the progress of our group and also taking photos of all you guys. all the members in the group are Amanda, Zhi Yi, Guan Quan, Joshua, Marcus, Keren, Maybelle, Lyn, Megan, Hui Min, Phoebe, Daniel and me. hope you guys like love the blog :)
acm-ers


Secretary: wailing
Script/acting: zhiyi(I/C), marcus, keren, maybelle, joshua, guanquan
Editing/filming: megan(I/C), amanda, joshua, lesley
Props: guanquan(I/C), huimin, phoebe
Music: joshua(I/C), lesley, daniel
Lights: lyn(I/C)
Friday, March 26, 2010 @ 10:38 PM
Lyn's Reflection of Wayang Kulit Readings - "Malaysian Shadow Play and Music"

Matusky, Patricia. Malaysian Shadow Play and Music: Continuity of an Oral Tradition. Malaysia: The Asian Centre, 1997.

The Malaysian Peninsular is the only part of Malaysia that has Wayang Kulit.There are two socio-economic patterns in the Malay Peninsula: the Urban Lifestyle, and the traditional, rural Kampong, which is highly agricultural-based.

In the Kampong areas, Wayang Kulit was a popular form of entertainment, with roots in the rural villages. However with modernization, many new forms of entertainment appeared (such as portable cinemas), overshadowing the popularity of Wayang Kulit.

In the Urban areas (west coast), many people understand what Wayang Kulit is, but few have seen Wayang Kulit before, because they have no exposure in the Urban territories.

With the urbanization of the rural areas, I think that Wayang Kulit may soon disappear from the cultural scene in Malaysia, and there may be a dwindling amount of Dalang (puppeteers).

Therefore, I think that it is a very good idea to have an SAC project to promote Wayang Kulit, as it is full of Culture and Personality, but it is also becoming extinct.
monthly archive

March 2010 April 2010 May 2010
recent entries

Some ideas for the script. ACM session 2 First ACM session.